Fundamentals of Criminology
Adam J. McKee, Ph.D.
Scott D. Bransford, Ph.D.
This content is released as a draft version for comment by the scholarly community. Please do not distribute.
The purpose of this collection of documents is to allow our colleagues in the criminal justice community to provide feedback on the content as it is developed. As such, it is incomplete and will contain many errors; we ask that you not distribute it or use it in your courses at this stage. When it is put into its final form, we will remove the “DRAFT” tags, and the final textbook will be made available for free to the scholarly community as an OER textbook. We will also make Kindle and print versions available at a low cost through Amazon’s KDP program.
- Section 1.1: Thinking about Theory
- Section 1.2: The Mythology of Criminal Justice
- Section 1.3: Criminology and Science
- Section 1.4: What Makes a Good Theory?
- Section 1.5: Classification of Theories
- Section 2.1: The Natural Law
- Section 2.2: The Greeks and Romans
- Section 2.3: Natural Law and Christianity
- Section 2.4: Hobbes versus Locke
- Section 2.5: The Decline of Natural Law
- Section 3.1: The Nasty, Brutish, and Short
- Section 3.2: Reform Movements
- Section 3.3: Bentham and the Utilitarians
- Section 3.4: Modern Deterrence Theory
- Section 3.5: Rational Choice Theory
- Section 4.1: The Positivists
- Section 4.2: Hormones and Criminal Tendencies
- Section 4.3: Intelligence and Crime
- Section 4.4: Genetics and Crime
- Section 4.5: Brain Physiology and Crime
- Section 5.1: Psychoanalytic Theory
- Section 5.2: Personality Theory
- Section 5.3: Cognitive Theory
- Section 5.4: Psychopathology and Crime
- Section 5.5: Substance Abuse and Crime
- Section 6.1: Labeling Theory
- Section 6.2: Anomie and Strain Theories
- Section 6.3: Social Learning Theories
- Section 6.4: Social Disorganization Theories
- Section 6.5: Integrated Theories
- Section 7.1: The Call to Specificity
- Section 7.2: Criminal Decision Making
- Section 7.3: Felson’s Chemistry of Crime
- Section 7.4: Clarke’s Hot Products
- Section 7.5: Crime and Place
Modification History File Created: 08/04/2018 Last Modified: 08/04/2018
This work is licensed under an Open Educational Resource-Quality Master Source (OER-QMS) License.
Products from Amazon.com
Price: $10.54Was: $11.95